Thursday, March 26, 2009

"I hope you have a good day"

This morning I spoke at chapel at the christian elementary school down the street from our church.  After they did the pledges to the American and Christian flags and the Bible (I'd never heard the pledge to the Bible before) they had a little girl pray.  Here is how she started:  "Dear Jesus, I hope you have a good day."  I couldn't really tell the rest of what she said because she wasn't very loud, but her opening line stuck with me.  I've never heard that one before.  I think I like it.  Jesus, I hope you have a good day today; I will try to do my part to help that happen.

By the way, this was the first time that I've heard the pledges to the flags in a long time.  I forgot that I did that every day at school.  I certainly understand why it is done, but it sounds kinda creepy and cultish to hear all these little kids reciting these creeds.  It's probably just my own hang up but it freaked me out a little.  I'm not sure why.

No comments: